Job Title : Assistant Teacher
Program: Early Childhood Education
Reports to: Lead Teacher & Program Director
The Early Education Assistant Teacher is responsible for assisting the Lead Teacher to help facilitate academic, social-emotional growth and development of all children in their care, which may include toddlers and/or preschool age children; develops partnerships with parents/child’s caregivers, to engage and encourage parent participation in the program.Assistant Teacher works cooperatively with other staff members of Academic Gardens.
- Develops and implements weekly lessons that are age-appropriate and aligned with our curriculum to nurture and stimulate all domains of children’s development in their care.
- Provides a developmentally appropriate classroom environment that reflects the children’s learning and growth.
- On an on-going basis, plan, evaluate and improve the physical environment in the classroom to create opportunities to meet the changing needs of the developing child.
- Provide responsive care to all children by adapting daily and care-giving routines and plans to the interests and needs of the individual child and the group as a whole.
- Give input on child’s abilities for developmental progress reports twice a year.
- Demonstrate cultural competency and respect for the children’s background by incorporating cultural, linguistic and family values and beliefs into the Child Care Program and lessons.
- Helps with child transitions and orientation of the classroom with lead teachers and parents.
- Maintain ongoing, open communications with lead teacher, parents and caregivers.
- Provides a classroom environment that encourages student and parents participation.
- Ensures that each family receives an opportunity to build strong relationships and experience clear communication with teaching staff.
- Liaison with lead teacher and children’s families to ensure smooth transitions from home to childcare setting and transitions from classroom to classroom when needed.
- Assist families with children’s transitions from toddler classroom to preschool classroom and from preschool classroom to kindergarten.
- Helps maintain classroom positive behavior discipline program .
- Assists children in teaching independence when putting clothes on and remove clothes, along with shoes and teaches children proper hygiene.
- Assist with activities designed to promote physical, mental and social development such as games, arts, and crafts music, storytelling and field trips.
- Provide a variety of materials and resources for children to explore, manipulate and use, both in learning activities and imaginary play .
- Demonstrates learning activities to children.
- Helps labels and organizes learning materials, classroom, and other areas in which children are in.
Skills and Specifications
- good planning
- excellent team building
- Superior communication skills both verbal and written
- Strong stress management skills
- Preparedness, and being on time
- 1 or 2 yrs+ in childcare field